Dinosaur cake


If a friend asks me to make a cake for their kid's birthday I would always go out of my way to make that wish come true. Partly it's just because of my nature and the impulse to please others and partly because of the fact that I just don't get around to making as much cakes as I would wish, at least not such that are more intricate and with figurines. In a 4 people household there are still only 4 birthdays a year and only two of those require a kid cake. Unless I succumb to the temptation and make myself one as well.

So when I learned that this cake was needed just two days after we get back from our 2 week Boston trip, I wasn't exactly thrilled, but I just didn't have it in me to say no. I just hoped that the jet lag won't be too bad and I compromised a little. The cake can be made in advance and frozen, the dinosaur was also finished before we left, so this left me with a day and a half to defrost the cake, make the filling and frosting, finish the cake and cover it in fondant. I would have wanted some more time, but hey not all orders are perfect. 

The extra request on this one? It had to be dairy free. My usual vanilla sponge recipe is dairy free anyway, because it uses oil instead of butter (same as here, just triple the amounts for a standard size cake). For the filling I usually use coconut whipping cream (same as in my Tropicana cake), adding dairy free melted chocolate or chocolate chips to get a chocolate or Stracciatella variation.

The dinosaur was just a matter of current inspiration, but it seems that I was sneaking peeks at my boys' latest cartoons, because this dinosaur turned out a bit like Arlo from the Good Dinosaur, don't you think? 




0 komentarji:

Objavite komentar