Coconut fried shrimp


Do not ask me how I stumbled upon this recipe. Pure coincidence may the the best way to describe it, yeah and too much Youtube. Way too much and before I knew I came from one random pregnancy vlog (and I am not even pregnant) to watching coconut fried shrimp recipes. I quickly scribbled down the recipe, stored it (which in my case means I lost and found it twice before actually preparing it) and remember I had it one afternoon after work.

I still insist on preparing a home cooked lunch at east a few times a week after we get home from work, however this used to be a bit more relaxed than it is now, because it needs to be prepared as quickly as possible. Not because of me and my husband, but because the boys are able to ask "when is it going to be ready?" for a billion time in a span of 20 minutes. Think of Donkey in Shrek 2. So the first conditions is that the meal needs to be quick and uncomplicated. Ok it may not be the height of healthy eating, but I'll consider it an indulgence and still allow it once in a while. And this is a seriously tasty indulgence.

The original recipe amounts seemed kind of off to me, because I wanted the batter to be somewhat thicker, so this is the adjusted version, which worked great for me.

For the beer batter:
1 egg
100 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
150 ml beer

Along with that:
a little extra flour
desiccated coconut
half a kilo shrimp (preferably with tail ends still on)
frying oil (I used peanut oil)

Mix all the beer batter ingredients in a bowl so that you get a batter that is a bit thicker than pancake batter (but think of crepes, not american pancakes). There will be enough batter for half a kilo of shrimp and you will have some leftover, but it is easier to work with this amount. If you made less, so that it would be just enough, it would be more difficult to have all the shrimp properly coated in the batter.

Dust the shrimp with flour, dip them in the batter and then roll them around in the coconut. You can choose not to flour them beforehand, but the batter sticks to the shrimp easier and more evenly that way. This is also the step, where you will appreciate having the tail ends of the shrimp still attached.



Fry them in oil, until they are dark golden brown.


We had them for lunch, so I also prepared some curry rice as a side dish, but an interesting debate started during lunch, because these seem to be a perfect party food snack. All that is missing is some dips and ideas were thrown around like curry or chilli or sour cream dip. The list started to get out of hand, so I resolved to leave this for another time. Thought about writing it down, but I think that might be a lost cause given my lost and found record. At least I have this blog to help me remember :)


0 komentarji:

Objavite komentar